If you believe Game of Thrones, then Winter is Now Here. Luckily, however, we’re not in Westeros and winter is not here.
I wouldn’t exactly call it summer either though, it hasn’t stopped raining for days.
That aside, on the odd occasion the sun does come out, it really puts me in the mood for tomato soup. Vegetarian tomato soup certainly, and vegan tomato soup if possible.My tomato plants are also doing really well, so it would be a crime not to use all those lovely homegrown tomatoes. FYI – growing tomatoes is really easy – all you need is a bit of room (ours grow on a small city balcony).Planting them next to basil is widely regarded to both kee insects away from the plants and increase tomato flavour (as well as some other cool planting ideas).
The pairing is one of the best in terms of eatability too – it’s a great combination. Pimped Vegan Tomato Soup Show the competition why there’s only one winner with this creamy vegan and vegetarian tomato soup. No dairy, just awesome.
- 2 carrot
- ¼ celery root (¼ = 120g. Leek can also be substituted here)
- 2 small potato (2 = 130g)
- 3 shallots (or spring onions)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cans tomato passata
- ¾ cup water (¾ cup = 200ml)
- ¾ cup orange juice (¾ cup = 200ml)
- 1 tsp rosemary, dried
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- ½ fennel (½ = 150g)
- 1 orange
- 1 cup basil, fresh
- Wash and roughly chop the carrots, celery and potatoes. You can leave the potato skin on if you like. Just make sure to give them a quick scrub first.
- Add it all (with a shot of olive oil) to a pot and let it simmer for 3-5 minutes. A little browning is good.
- Peel and roughly dice the shallots and garlic, add them to the pot as well.
- Now stir in the crushed tomatoes, water and orange juice. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Add in the rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and sugar after 15 minutes.
- Depending on how you like it, puree the soup with a hand blender. You can make it completely smooth or leave it a little lumpy if that’s your bag.
- That’s it, ready to serve!
- Cut the fennel into small cubes (here’s a video on how to do it).
- Add them with a little olive oil to the pan.
- Peel and dice up the orange, cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Give both to the fennel pan.
- Add a pinch of salt & pepper to taste.
- Carefully chop the basil and use for garnish.
- When serving add some of the fennel mix and chopped basil to the soup. Stellar!
- Have fun and enjoy!
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE: Then you absolutely need to try our other appetizer soups like this Mushroom Soup and this Irresistible Pea and Mint Soup. Both are soo good :D.
Timo, mate! Thanks a ton for the tomato soup. We served it to so many people already. It’s great! Want to get in contact? Hop over to his Instagram over here!